29 February 2008

A Leap Day, thus Unresolved Naan. Huh?

'A leaping photo '


An extract from my notebook says:

‘Things to do at home after work today in the evening:
1. To make
Naan Bread.
2. NOT to burn down my kitchen (people, on a
leap day I always have to be extra careful *smiles*)
3. To clean up the mess in my kitchen after I’ve made Naan.’

This is to declare I fully stuck to each paragraph written down. Yes, you may rightly think I followed the recipe word for word and step by step (well, ALMOST ! *sheepish expression on my face*), I didn’t burn down the kitchen and I cleaned it up neatly after storming up the Naan Bread making process. But as a result it wasn’t exactly Naan (I believe it’s a leap day to blame not me *wink, wink, wink*), though I absolutely loved what I eventually got! *a smile from ear to ear*.

I’m chuffed and yet confused. Huh? Yeah, what you think, a girl made pseudo-Naan (and this is what confuses her) but it tastes so damn gooooooooood (and that’s why she is chuffed!) So without further ado I’m titling my newly-made as A Pseudo-Naan Cracker and laying out the recipe.

****Pseudo-Naan Crackers*****

Yields 5-6 crackers

Ingredients:


1 cup all-purpose flour + 1/3 cup fine cornmeal (this is the only derivation from the original recipe – which featured 250 g plain flour - I undertook. Do you think it might be the reason of my successful failure*?)

½ tsp salt

½ tsp baking powder

2 tsp sugar

150 ml whole milk

2 Tsp vegetable oil

Sunflower seeds

Method:
1. In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Stir to mix.
2. In small bowl, combine milk and oil together. Stir well.
3. Make a well in a flour mixture and carefully pour milk mixture in it.
4. Carefully mix together the dough by starting from the centre and gradually incorporate the flour from the well edges.
5. Knead well for 8-10 mins (time to shake off a few calories *wink*). If the dough is too sticky, add a bit flour at a time.
6. Put a kneaded dough in a slightly oiled bowl, cover with a damp clean kitchen towel and place in a warm place to rise (eventually it should double in size). It may take an hour or even more (depending on how warm the place is).
7. Preheat the oven/grill (I used an oven) to its maximum temperature and put a baking sheet on the upper shelf.
8. When the dough is doubled in size divide it into 5 equal balls. Roll out each dough ball on lightly floured surface to an oval or tear-shaped form. Don’t make it too thin (this is what I did actually. Hm.) Sprinkle over sunflower seeds and press into dough.
9. Put naan breads on a baking sheet (I covered it with slightly oiled parchment *a giggle*). I used an oven rather than a grill (do not owe one now) and it took me a bit more time until naan bread cracker cooked (about 8 mins versus 1-2 mins as said in the original recipe).
10. Naan breads are best served hot (or warm). Pseudo-Naan Crackers are best when cooled down. *smiles* Divine with fresh soft goat's cheese and a drizzle of honey. The variations are virtually endless.

What’s amazing is that these crackers taste absolutely the same as the savoury crackers I loved in my childhood. So crispy and slightly sweetish, yum! Isn’t it funny how an Indian bread recipe brought up dear childhood memories? A leap day is hilarious, I’m telling you!

*Lately it seems to be a trend in a food-blogging world. Take a look here at
Tiina’s post or here at Nicky’s

P.S. Being a stubborn (???) person I’ve made some research on naan bread in general, collated a few more recipes, analysed my likely mistakes (you think there are any? *a smile and puppy eyes*) and arrived to a conclusion I’m going to keep on trying until I put things just RIGHT (will keep you posted on my progress!) There, I’ve declared it and may now retreat! *smiles*

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Naan bread sounds like a nice idea for a leap day. I started the day with seeded wholemeal bread from Hartog, the famous Amsterdam baker, and some goat's cheese. Tomorrow is St David's Day, our Welsh national patron saint which means Welsh cakes all round.

Tiina said...

Welcome to the "successful failures club", Anya! ;) I have never tried to bake naan, but I do enjoy eating it a lot! ps. I posted 2 pictures of the pancanes I made using your recipe on my blog today. Have a nice weekend!

Greetings,
Tiina